In the past, I have been accused of living the life of an old man. it could be my 9 o’clock bedtime. Or maybe my like for artists like Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra, and especially James Taylor. Or possibly it is because the mini fridge in my office has yogurt, string cheese and Tums as its contents right now.
Fine. I’ll admit I do old man stuff. But one thing I won’t accept is losing my hearing like an old man.
This last weekend, Candace and I decided to try the ancient art of ear candling. This is new to me as of last week, but it dates back to as far as 2500 BC.
Understandably, I was a little skeptical on a) if it really existed and b) if it really worked. But we searched and were able to find some ear candles.
The basic process requires the 12 inch hollow candle, a plate/pie tin that won’t catch on fire, and a little bowl of water.
– The person receiving the candling sits upright on the floor and puts the funnel tip of the candle softly into the ear.
– Holding the candle at a 25 degree angle, the helper person lights the tip of the candle.
– As the candle burns down, the helper person holds the plate under the tip of the candle to catch the ash.
– When the tip of the candle has 1 inch of ash, the helper cuts it off to let the candle continue burning.
– When the candle reaches about 4 inches left, remove it from the ear and place the tip in the bowl of water.
That’s it. It sounds ridiculous, but it really works. Cut the candle open and take a look for yourself. Ugh!
So now, even if other facets of my life are old, my hearing is still top notch!! You ought to try them. You can buy them at Amazon.com
Note: You will DEFINITELY want a helper person with this. The flame get pretty big and it’s good to have someone help you.
Note 2: Some companies say that the ear contents come out immediately, other companies say the candle loosens the stuff up to come out better in the natural process. I don’t know how it happens, but I am hearing good and my head feels very cleared up all together.
Note 3: This is the grossest post I have ever written.