I read this talk a couple weeks ago and have really worked to comprehend all that is taught. It’s directed my personal study since then. It was given by Neal A Maxwell in 1978 and has proven to be absolutely prophetic in the 40 years since. I highly recommend reading it along to the audio so you can get the full delivery of his words. A few things:
1) This is bigger than any one topic, be it political or personal. I hope that it will be read as such and applied far and wide.
2) I believe Neal A Maxwell to have been a prophet, seer and revelator before he died in 2004. This message is just one of many examples from him. I do believe there are still living Prophets and Apostles. This talk has led me to study more intently their words.
3) This talk contains warnings: (“But make no mistake about it, brothers and sisters; in the months and years ahead, events will require of each member that he or she decide whether or not he or she will follow the First Presidency. Members will find it more difficult to halt longer between two opinions”)
4) This talk also contains beautiful assurances (“If he knew beforehand the movements and whereabout of fishes in the little Sea of Tiberias, should it offend us that he knows beforehand which mortals will come into the gospel net?”)
5) To focus too much on the warnings or the assurances does an injustice to both. It’s ok to be optimistically apprehensive.
6) Fore-ordination, when correctly understood, is a beautiful doctrine.
All that being said, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.